Happy Memorial Day to you. I hope you have the day off today and will be enjoying yourself on this holiday. Memorial Day is special to me because my grandfather fought in WWII and my son saw combat in the War on Terror and thankfully they both came back in one piece. Two years ago I wrote a piece on what Memorial Day means to me you can read it here.
Yes, I am grateful this Memorial Day because I spent the entire weekend with my family but I also came across some good new to share with you.
- This past week saw people in more than 350 people worldwide take time to March Against Monsanto, stop and see videos from various cities that participated
- I found this article which shows more farmer’s are rejecting GMO seed and why. The reasons may surprise you but it’s good to see this trend. I hope it continues.
- One country in Oregon has banned the planting of GMO seeds a true victory if I ever heard of one.
- With evidence growing that microbeads in cosmetics, especially exfoliating products, many manufacturers of beauty products are now phasing out the use of microbeads to protect wildlife. You can see which brands are doing their part here.
- Minnesota, land of ten thousand lakes, has taken steps to protect aquatic life and human health by banning anti-bacterial ingredients in soap, toothpaste, deodorant and anywhere else it might be hidden.
Gift to readers
My son has just published his latest story, The Box. I think this is his best yet. Yes, I am biased as I am his mother but when he asked me to proofread the story I became so engrossed I forgot many times I was supposed to be checking for errors and had to go back several pages to start again. I worked late into the night and awoke with my first thoughts being that I wanted to do nothing else but finish the story. This is not horror, or gory, like some of his other books. Here’s the write up available on Amazon:
A new prison has been built to house the most violent of all offenders. Unknown to either the inmates or the staff a secret government experiment was developed to be used on these prisoners and the results are terrifying as those prisoners who undergo the experimental process find themselves changed in ways no one expected. When the prisoners learn how to use their new-found abilities it puts everyone at risk. Who will survive is anyone’s guess.
Do you have good news to share this Monday?