Earlier this week I told you NASA is currently accepting applications from businesses to mine the moon for Helium 3 and rare earth metals needed for our electronics, fuel sources and many more, if you missed it you can read it here. I did my best to hold my feelings in check while writing that post but I was scared and angry about this prospect. The company who is selected for this job will be notified mid March of this year. There isn’t much time to prevent this but Linne@A Random Harvest took action and started the petition Don’t allow mining on the moon. Please share this with everyone you know, on blogs, social sites and to friends and family. We’ve done enough damage to the earth please help save the moon from us.
Today is Valentine’s Day. It’s also the beginning of a long weekend in the US to celebrate President’s Day. Already the flyers have been out enticing us to shop. I don’t know about you but I won’t be found in or near any store this weekend. When did we begin to associate a long weekend or the celebration of those who did their best for our country with shopping and spending all our money?
I spotted one flyer for Kohl’s, I’ve never shopped there and took a look through. I don’t need clothes made in China in more than likely a sweat shop. Kolh’s also advertised a charity program called Kohl’s Cares where for $5 you can purchase a book and stuffed animal where 100% of the net profit is donated to children’s health and education. Really? Why not start with the education and health of the children who work in their sweat shops?
Enough rant, how about some Friday Faves?
- I spotted a lovely poem this week at Soul of a Gypsy which gave me hope for change and helped to pull me out of my anger and sadness.
- Andrea’s blog is mostly not in English and this post has no English at all, but I loved the wonderful photos and altered photos of trees. Scroll down just over halfway to see what I am talking about. The sky is so blue it has me longing for summer.
green and Healthy living
- Many areas of the world, including much of the US, is expecting or already experiencing drought conditions. One family has taken measures to ensure they have enough water for their gardens by creating a Rain Water Catch System.
- Stephanie @ Good Girl Gone Green has 10 tips to help you reduce exposure to BPA, it’s not just in plastic utensils but also cans, on receipts, and on canning lids for Mason jars plus more.
- There is a new site for passing on items you no longer want or need, and even finding things you do need. It’s called Gifteng. Gifteng was set up a while back exclusively for New York but is now open across the country and I hear worldwide soon. For more information on how Gifteng works check out this article on treehugger then go to the Gfiteng site to ask for an invitation.
- Small Footprints wrote a wonderful post on the healing qualities of food. What better time to share this than on a weekend of excess. You will find spices and foods that will cool you off, warm you up and heal conditions you may not have realized you can treat naturally.
- Between the Temples, (isn’t that a great title of a blog?) has come from a different perspective yet arrived at the same conclusion I have concerning minimalism.
Valentine’s Day Foods
- Is there a healthy version of cheesecake? I haven’t found one but this comes closer than most and only uses 7 ingredients (I would change a few but that’s me) How about making Mini Nutella Cheesecakes for tonight?
- Joann@Woman in Real Life has 10 vegan treats to make this Valentine’s Day.
- What would Valentine’s day be without some humor. Give me a good joke over a present any day.
- Valentine’s Day is a popular day to pop the question and ask a loved one to spend the rest of their life with you. EcoGrrl’s fiance couldn’t wait until today (or maybe he just wanted to be different), but scroll down to see a short video of the best ever wedding proposal which included family, friends and neighbors to propose to one special woman. I laughed all the way through this.
I don’t understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine’s Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. ~Author Unknown
Have a wonderful weekend and please share the petition to save the moon.