It’s time for another challenge today at Reduce Footprints, this one is giving me problems. I’m need to ask for your help.
If you’ve accomplished it all, please tell us about your most difficult, green task and how you overcame the obstacles.
Here’s where your help comes in. I’m not perfect, far from it but I think I am pretty close to as green as I can get. Below I am going to list all the things I can think of which I’ve mastered in the last two years on my journey. I’d like you to spot something I could improve on or haven’t thought of. I will accept that as my challenge for the week.
- I am a vegetarian (most days vegan)
- I have less than 1 tall kitchen trash sized bag of garbage per year. Most of this comes from what guests leave behind.
- I save all the boxes and junk mail left at my apartment building to use in the gardens as weed block rather than recycling.
- I gave up my car
- I gave up a refrigerator and stove to live here.
- I have no air conditioner for summer and hold off on the fan until it’s unbearable.
- I have no bills mailed to me and my banking is online.
- I don’t save things on the cloud (unless you count this blog)
- I don’t shop unless it’s second-hand (or for gifts I might purchase a handmade item)
- I have no non-stick cookware
- I have no plastic in my kitchen, with the exception of the bags used in my foodsaver
- I store my bulk pantry foods in jars saved from food rather than buying jars
- When I need to travel outside my hometown I use the Greyhound
- I switched all the light bulbs in the apartment to CFL and LED (3 more to switch to LED)
- I have plants to clean the air indoors and use all natural cleaners
- I eat almost exclusively organic food
- I don’t eat out more than one to two times a year.
- All my beauty products are natural (baking soda, peroxide, salt and white vinegar)
- I don’t own a TV, gaming systems, etc. My only electronics include my phone and the notebook I am using now.
There you have the list of things I can think of off the top of my head. Yes, I would like to have zero waste and it would be nice to never recycle, as that uses resources, but I have to be honest it’s hard. If you followed the discussion on my post It’s happened, We’ve Outgrown the Earth, you will know I would give up anything I have to save the moon from being mined and I meant that. So please help me to come up with a new challenge for my life.
I hope you have fun with this challenge. Maybe you would like to see me work on an area that gives you trouble mastering. This is your chance.