This week the temperatures have turned cooler and we’ve had lots of rain. I really hope the rains won’t diminish the colors of fall. I am already missing the hours I spent outdoors and being stuck inside with the rain hasn’t been fun. I’ll get used to it again as always but find it strange how long the adjustment of being disconnected from nature takes me each year. I wonder how those who spend most of their time indoors, rarely getting outside, can stay centered.
My parts for my chair have arrived and are awaiting final approval to be installed, I received a call yesterday informing me to expect to have them later today, so I am happy about that.
This week everyone outdid themselves, I had a very hard time choosing which posts to share with you in today’s Friday Faves.
- Oliana was introduced to me this week by Pat from Plain Talk and Ordinary Wisdom. This is one of the greatest things about the blogging community, the introductions to people I have yet to meet. You can find some wonderful writing on Oliana’s blog, but this one post called A Thanksgiving Letter, was the one I wanted to share with you. Oliana is fortunate to have a job where she can help abused individuals. In that line of work you may never know how many people you have helped to find a life after the abuse, but in this one case the Thank you letter (shared) made the work worth it.
- Glorialana’s blog has developed over time to a gratitude journal. She begins each post with Hello God, and then shares what she is thankful for that day and a bit of explanation on why. If you need a bit of a pick-me-up head over and wander a bit, I think it will help.
- Simple Living ABC’s has several categories to choose from sustainability, simple living, religion, and community. But it was this page with 4 short videos I thought you would most enjoy. Each is under 2 minutes and shows slide shows of the people and places around Italy. The last video is the before and after of their 645 square foot home restored on a very tight budget.
Consumerism vs Minimalism
- I was pleasantly surprised to learn in this post by Freedom that the Futurist Magazine sees some changes coming in how people will choose to live in the coming years. Freedom highlights number 5 of the Magazines top 10 forecasts to discuss. See if you can guess what it is.
- You know by now I have a kitchen with no stove or fridge, and it’s not because I am waiting for them to be delivered :-) I have learned a great deal about making do with less, but this is one trick I didn’t think of and not sure I would have tried it if I had. You be the judge, good or bad idea?
- This isn’t exactly a minimalism post nor is it really about consumerism although it is about advertising products to us. What this post is really about are the messages we receive from print advertising. See if you agree.
- We have talked a lot about composting our scraps I happened to find this Composter you won’t want to hide. Talk about beautiful and something even renters could enjoy on a small balcony.
- Whether you love them or hate them, Ikea is one company that tried to walk the talk. Ikea has added a new product to their line, affordable solar panels.
- I rarely share post from Apartment Therapy as I am sure everyone has visited there a time or two. But this diy of dollhouse furniture was too cute to pass up. Did you know you can create doll furniture from egg cartons? It looks so easy guess what rainy day activity I have on my mind?
- In the past two weeks the US has been the object of great speculation as the government shut-down. I thought I would share this story of a group of EPA workers who decided to use their furloughed time off to do something good for their area. We aren’t all selfish, although I do think this would be a fun and rewarding project.
- I will have blogged for 2 years this next month, some days I feel the blog is a good representation of what I wanted to create, other days I feel it has very little direction, something I need to give some thought to her this winter. I didn’t know what I was doing when I started and read everything I could get my hands on about the world of blogging. How I wish I had read this one article on how to blog by the Daily Simple. Forget everything you have heard and see what you think about the lessons learned after writing 8 blogs.
- I am overwhelmed by the number of truly giving people I have met online. This week Daniela shared how she makes up goodie bags to hand out. These aren’t for a party see who her recipients are.
- Alex took time to poke a bit of fun at a serious problem by sharing this short video with us.
Treat the earth well.
It was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.
~ Ancient Indian Proverb ~