When you are busy Friday seems to come around so quickly. I am enjoying my son being out of work, hopefully for him it won’t be that long. I rarely got to see him as he worked 3rd shift and many double shifts. When he wasn’t working or sleeping he was busy with his children trying to get some quality time with them. He’s been visiting often and tonight even called and told me not to make dinner as he was cooking and going to bring me a plate. Love when I don’t have to cook. :-)
This is a picture of our local mall, huge isn’t it? :-) Besides a Dollar General, there are 2 restaurants, a tanning business, hair salon, dog agility school, the rest are mostly offices or empty spaces. This is where my granddaughter was taking her dance lessons as well. Her parents received a letter today telling them the mall has been sold to a new owner and due to a dispute over the new lease the dance school has closed. While the school offered to give all students from this location free lessons for the rest of the year it will be quite a drive and treacherous in the winter months. We are now looking for another dance program that will still be affordable for her to attend. With the good comes the bad I guess.
I won’t bore you further, here are my favorite posts of the week.
Upcycling and DIY Done Right
- I think everyone loves a good remodel story, but I love a good remodeling story that doesn’t break the bank. This amazing kitchen was created with all salvaged items (with the exception of the appliances) from concrete plant pots as light fixtures to a drift wood and shot glass stand for cut flowers. See how this family even found free marble for a back splash.
- There are plastic bottles everywhere it seems. Keep them out of the waste cycle by building a green house with them. There are several ideas here and don’t miss the rainwater collecting roof made from plastic bottles.
- I stumbled upon Recyclart’s top ten posts from 2012, I found 3 projects in this list I found amazing, and 1 I intend to make. Which 3 do you think I liked best?
- With winter fast approaching in my part of the world I happened to find this idea for insulating our windows. You will never guess what is used to make these curtains which are beautiful and practical.
- You could spend a lot of money buying your child a chair with a favorite logo or design, or you could get tired of the worn out chair you found at Goodwill and give it a makeover a child would love, and you won’t mind seeing either.
It Seemed Like a Good Idea
- Installing solar panels sounds like a good idea. You are getting clean energy for your home, you aren’t adding to the pollution by relying on coal or other dangerous processes for your home needs right? Well Spain has enacted a new law that will generate money for the country which is heavily in debt. Have you heard about Taxing the Sun, you might be surprised by who is affected and who isn’t.
- Getting a pet, especially a dog, can be a huge investment both time and money, but did you know you can learn from them. Check out this post the 9 Tricks My Dog Taught Me, and see if there are a few you could master too.
- When we don’t have an option but to live simply we can strive for more. So many cultures want to emulate the first world but maybe we should be trying to emulate a little of their way of life. Read what one person learned while in Uganda
Playing with Food
- What does October mean to you? Here it’s all about hearty soups, apples, pumpkins and Halloween. Don’t waste your money buying Halloween decorations, make them from things found in your garden, this is just an inspiration post for you, see what you can come up with around your house to decorate with and still have edible food when the holiday is over.
- Some days you just want a new taste, with an abundance of apples around here now I would like an apple recipe. Why not give this Wild Rice and Apple Pilaf a try, with the exception of the butter which you can substitute coconut oil or other non dairy butters, this recipe would be vegan to stay with this week’s challenge from Reduce Footprints.
- Of course if you aren’t crafty you can still add a few touches for Halloween with food you will still want to eat later, I see a few ideas here I might do.
- While Halloween usually means candy, I am always looking for healthier treats for the little ones. I figure they get enough candy and don’t need more from me. I know each of my grandchildren will love finding this on Halloween instead.
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do. – Galileo