I have finally completed a chair I was given several months ago. When I received it its condition was horrible. 4 of the 6 spokes on the back were falling out, one side of the main back support was snapped in half and there was glue all over the seat where someone had tried to hold the spindles in by pouring glue all around them and on the seat. To say this chair was ready for the dumpster is an understatement. But it had good bones and it was wood. I have always said that if something is made of wood it can be repaired. This chair would seriously test that belief.
I decided to share this with you now while I wait for the last coat to dry and before I give it the last touch-up.
Isn’t that close up lovely? I was determined not to let the chair beat me. The seat and legs were solid, I almost considered removing the back and upholstering it as a stool. But I guess I like a challenge because I kept working at this a bit at a time.
I had every intention of putting this chair out with the other 4 that were painted black and set out for my yard sale, but it just wasn’t going to happen. I couldn’t get all the glue and the thick paint removed in time. I did paint the bottom of the seat and legs while I was painting the other chairs while the back was still off. When I missed getting it done for the yard sale I put it aside, out of frustration. I finally pulled it out and got back to work.
You can see in the above picture the gaping hole where the one spindle should have been. No amount of effort would hold this one spindle in that condition.
Last night I finally had the glue removed and the spindles back in securely, this time with gorilla glue, and began the process of finishing the sanding. I restored the gaping hole for the spindle with wood putty and sanded that down before gluing the spindle in place.
You can see I only had one coat of the black paint on the legs and had missed quite a bit. Being as I only had one chair left I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it at this point. I wasn’t in the mood to paint an all black chair again, so over to the stash of paints I have saved.
I found a sand color I received on Freecycle and decided to give this a try. Once I had the seat and back painted I wasn’t sure what to do with the legs. Should I give them another coat of black or paint the entire chair in the sand color. Then I had an idea. I would leave the legs black and add some black to the seat to tie it all together. I have a couple of touch-ups to finish which is no problem, so here it is basically finished. It heads to the store tomorrow.
This chair sorely tested my resolve to restore it to something beautiful, but I am very happy with how it turned out. What do you think, would you like this chair now?
While I am showing you another before and after, I thought I would update you on how my outdoor table held up. Finding a resin table in the dumpster that was so dirty and stained I decided it needed paint. I didn’t want to buy paint and spotted some leftover fabric paint. I figured I would give it a try. I used the black enamel on the body of the table and sealed the blue and green fabric paint with polycrylic. After an entire season outdoors with heavy use, especially with the little ones who use it to play on, have covered it in dirt and even used it for extra seating I can say the paint held up well. You can see it has a few nicks, but considering how it looked when we found it I feel this is quite the improvement. If you want to give this a try, go ahead and if you don’t have little ones who are rough or can keep it on a covered porch where it won’t be exposed to all the elements it should hold up better.