Summer has arrived here in full force with real heat. I was wishing the last two days that I had broken down and installed an air conditioner, but I know the heat and humidity won’t last long and I will manage with my fan.
This evening a neighbor asked if I would like to join him in watching some strange lights he’s been watching for a couple of weeks now. These were some of the strangest things I have seen in a very long time. From my vantage point I had a power line directly under the first light. It never moved. Then another showed up. They changed from white to red lights and were disk-shaped. While watching these lights we began to notice other lights, these were planes, no doubt about that. These planes circled around the lit disks while keeping their distance.
I returned home to do a search to see what was being said about these lights, but found very little. I love a good mystery. But it’s time to share my Friday Favorites with you now.
Welcoming New Readers
I enjoy getting to know the new readers and this week met a several wonderful people who have helped me to find new information to help me in my journey, thank you.
- I am fascinated by dragonflies, so I appreciated this gorgeous picture of a dragonfly and the accompanying poem by Leroy Watson.
- Ed Helvey, the Professional Nomad is designing a new home, a home he is calling the McVansion. Here is the first installment on the renovation of his home.
- If we want to make this a better, greener world it has to start at home. The way we raise our children, what we demonstrate to them will make a huge impact on the values they carry into adult life. EcoGrrl shares her story of how her parents showed her what was important.
- Would you like to see the energy costs of your country reduced by $675 million dollars, what about $37 Billion? It only took one little change for a country to realize the first figure, and if everyone made that same change the US could see a savings of $37 billion. Find out more at The Good Human.
- Sarah shows that it’s not hard to travel and avoid eating out. Check out what she packed on a vacation saving herself plenty of money and knowing the food was made to her liking.
- Pat at Plain Talk and Ordinary Wisdom describes how I feel being able to control my life instead of allowing a schedule to determine what I will do. When you own your day you will notice so much more, see what Pat notices now.
- When you embrace making changes in your life don’t be surprised if your family and friends think you have gone a little crazy. It is so engrained in most people that life has to include X,Y,Z. Katie tells us which changes she made that have others scratching their heads. What would happen if this could result in more people questioning what they actually NEED.
- Can we live simply in a world of excess consumption? Daily Kos explores just this issue here.
- I was shocked to see the number of vaccinations my granddaughter received moments after being born, I have been curious to know what may be in these vaccines. I’ve heard mercury is often used, but had no idea about the rest of the ingredients we allow to be injected into our bodies and the possible side effects.
- I hear all the time that it is too much work to grow and preserve your own food. Yes, it does take time and work but it doesn’t have to take as much time as you might think. When I began freezing food I didn’t know the recommended way to freeze food. So I did what made sense to me. Heidi just found out that there is a simpler way, yep the way I do it, and will now have more time to sleep.
- There is a lot of information available about what causes cancer and what we can do to protect ourselves, but take a look at this info-graphic to see it in simple terms.
- I have received a lot of interest in my post on cooking with a rice cooker. Many people have asked if my rice cooker has a non-stick coating. Unfortunately it does. But I now know a stainless steel rice cooker is available for anyone who is interested but you will find out the packaging isn’t so healthy.
- Stacy has a daily picture which always makes my day. Her green house is the envy of many, including yours truly. This week the pictures of Rosie found me with a smile on my face.