I happened upon a newspaper article that I would like to share on the subject of what we can learn from squirrels. Here is the part that was most interesting:
They are well-known for good qualities like working hard, saving for the future, playing for fun and displaying community spirit. They show the essentials for long-term survival. They are also good at accommodating, adjusting, and adapting. If only we humans could learn. ~~ Rao Musunuru, Tampa Bay Times
This article brought to mind all the things we as humans have that we don’t need yet the multitude of things we do need yet forget or ignore.
Whether we simplify our lives, downsize our living space or staying where we have been there are things we need to address and take care of.
- Enough of the right kinds of food to see us through until our next scheduled shopping day or through a power outage.
- Time out for laughter and some fun.
- Time to relax and unwind, hopefully not in front of the computer or television.
- Living with a budget to have some money set aside for emergencies.
- Keeping our debt low or non-existent.
- Doing our best whether at our jobs, or in quality, not necessarily quantity, of time we give to our families.
- Can you help loved ones if they should need short-term shelter? It doesn’t have to be fancy even a couch is better than nothing.
- Are you ready to adapt to the changing needs of your family situation? What if a member of your immediate family lost their job? Are you over extended by so much that you couldn’t live without that income?
- Are you connected to your neighbors enough to be able to borrow or loan out a tool or help with a problem?
- Have you learned the skills to repair clothes or small items around your home if the day were to come that you couldn’t afford to replace them?
We are already seeing major changes around the world due to climate change. Droughts are becoming more common, yet are we ready to adjust to these changes?
A squirrel puts up enough food to make it through any kind of winter. You don’t see them starving. Squirrels, and most animals, are pretty good at making a safe home for themselves and their young and are resourceful enough to make do.