Tomorrow being January 1st and the first day of the January Money Diet I thought it would be a good time to sit down and figure out my expenses. I can’t say that I have made a budget in just over a year. I know something I should never admit to, but there it is.
I thought I would share how this breaks down and what I hope to have left over.
My expected earnings this month should be approximately $1,000
My set expenses are as follows:
- Rent (utilities included) $410.
- internet $45.
- insurances $37.65
- Need to purchase a birthday gift $10
- Food: this is where the budgeting comes in. I spend more time looking for the organic and whole foods that I enjoy and don’t pay much attention to what I end up paying. I set aside $200 per month to ensure I will have enough to feed guests, but am going to aim for $100 this month. Being as we are in the middle of winter I enjoy soups which are very inexpensive and already have quite a few of the ingredients on hand which will help.
- Gas: While I don’t have a car any longer, if I need a ride I give a little gas money to help out. To be on the safe side I am budgeting $20.
- New water filter $10 if the local pharmacy has their brand in stock $20 if I have to buy the Pur brand filter.
If I am careful that will leave me with $367 left over. With my son out of work the car I gave them will need to be inspected, I would like to help them with the inspection so part of my savings will go towards that. The rest will be divided between my savings and my giving account.
Are you joining in on the January Money Diet? If you join in do you have a goal amount you want to save for a special purpose?